Stamboom Baars Rhenen

Gijsbertus Baars


Bijkomende namen

Bijkomende namen Naam
Andere naam Barrs
Andere naam George Baars


vader Geboortedatum moeder Geboortedatum
Gijsbert Baars 1779 Neeltje van Remmerden (Baars) 25.09.1790


Soort gebeurtenis Datum Plaats Omschrijving
Geboorte 09.02.1814 Ingen, Gelderland, Nederland
Militaire dienst 22.10.1841 Militie Certificaat met lotingsnummer 125. 'Tot gene dienst verpligt'
Huwelijk 10.11.1841 Maurik, Gelderland, Nederland
Emigratie 14.09.1846 Vertrek vanaf Texel met het schip 'Angelique'
Immigratie 03.11.1846 Aankomst New York, USA
Andere gebeurtenis 8/1854 Kocht 380 'acres' land in Tennesse
Andere gebeurtenis 16.07.1872 Patent 129,581 "Peanut Picker"
Beroep Timmerman
Overlijden BET 3/1890 AND 1910 Beardstown, Perry County, Tennessee, United States of America
Begrafenis Beardstown Cemetery


Less than two years after Hendrika was born, Gijsbertus and Helena packed their belongings and left Netherlands for good. They left Holland aboard the ship Angelique from Texel, an island just north of Amsterdam, on Monday, 14.9.1846. The ship’s Captain was John Edward.

When asked why they came to America, they said they had a “desire for adventure” and they were seeking better “opportunity for their children.” Their religious denomination or affiliation was ”Dutch Reformed,” they were considered as “indigent” and were not charged a tax when coming to New York.

Arrived in New York City, United States in 1846 with the Angeleque (Angelique)
On the passenger list are:
Gijsbertus Baars 31 years - Carpenter
Helena Vermeer Baars 34 years
Gijsbertus Baars 3 years
Hendrika Baars 2 years

After arrival they moved to Tennessee and were known as George and Lena Baars.

In the census of 1860 we find the following family members. From this record we can conclude that Gijsbertus' oldest son died before 1860.
G Baars, M, 46, Holland
Hellender Baars, F, 49, Holland
Henderka Baars, F, 15, Holland
Jane Baars, F, 11, Holland (this is not correct, she is not born in Holland, but in Tennessee)
Jarrot N Baars, M, 9, Tennessee
Daniel Baars, M, 6, Tennessee

Gijsbertus and Helena used to laugh and tell a story about when they first arrived in America. Just after their ship had docked and they stepped ashore, Helena said “Thank God! Crossed the ocean once but never no more!” The trip had taken them 47 days to get here and as it turns out, there is another family story associated with that voyage. Shortly after they left Holland, their ship ran into a severe storm and received quite a bit of damage. Some of the ships dishes were broken, the ship lost its fore and maintop/gallant masts and sails were split. This is noted in newspaper articles from that time. One is from the New-York Municipal Gazette stating:

Friday, October 30 (1846)
Ship Angelique, from Amsterdam, on the 30th
in a gale of wind, on George’s Bank, lost maintop-gallant mast, and received some other damage.”

The second is from The Evening Post (New York – New York):
“The Evening Post (New York – New York) 3 November 1846 Page 3 – 2nd Column
Port of New York, November 3, 1846
Arrived Yesterday
Ship Angelique, Edwards, from Amsterdam, Sept. 15th, with mdse, to Schuehart, Favre & Co. 25th ult, lat 42 30, lon 55, spoke ship Fairfield, fm Liverpool for N York, with loss of fore and maintop/gallant masts. The A has experienced severe weather on the passage, lost her main top-gallant mast, split sails, &c.”

When these two articles and the picture of the wine jug are “put together,” it makes for some interesting conjecture. Another tale Gijsbertus and Helena told about had to do with the trip across the ocean. According to them, after they had been at sea for a few days, the ship encountered a severe storm. The ship was damaged, things were tossed around – some were broken. Part of the damage caused the ship to start leaking. The Captain, John Edward, knew that Gijsbertus was a carpenter and had his tools on board with him. He asked Gijsbertus if he could repair the ship and stop the leaking. With the help of others, Gijsbertus stuffed a feather bed into the hole and sealed it off enough that the ship could continue on its journey to New York. To show his appreciation, Captain Edward “gave Gijsbertus all the wine he could drink.” One can only speculate that the wine he gave Gijsbertus was in the wine jug they kept for so many years and eventually passed on to other family members.

After landing in New York, Gijsbertus and Helena continued their journey inland. After stopping off for a short while in Paducah, Kentucky, they made their way up the Tennessee River and into Perry County, Tennessee. It was here they settled down. Gijsbertus built them a log house near the Buffalo River in the Beardstown community. It was here that their remaining children were born. About this time, Gijsbertus and Helena began using their “American” names of George and Lena. This changing is also shown in the names of their children. Hendrika became known as Ann and the next three children had “American” names Martha Jane, Jarrett Nathaniel and Daniel. George and Lena attended services at the local Methodist Church. According to Jarrett, when the Civil War was going on between 1861 and 1865 “there were lots of bad, mean people roaming around who would steal and burglarize whatever they could and his daddy, George, carried a shotgun with him when they went to church.” There is only one picture that we know of which is thought to be of George and Lena Baars. It was taken sometime in the 1850’s in Tennessee. The picture includes another man we assume to be their friend. A child can be seen in the picture and it appears that Lena is pregnant. Since their last child Daniel was born in 1853, the little child seen in the picture could have been either Martha Jane who was born in November 1848 or Jarrett Nathaniel who was born in 1851.

George and Lena lived in Beardstown until their deaths which are unknown. They are both shown in the Tennessee 1880 census report but not after that. George’s signature is in a record in Humphreys County Tennessee dated March 1890.

No other record of either of them since this signed report has been found. Their grave marker is in the Beardstown Cemetery but includes no dates.

BAARS, Lena & George (no dates)
2 fieldstones